Summertime can be magical. We switch up our wardrobes, head to the beach, and get long summer nights with friends and family. However, these hot months come with a whole new set of challenges to keeping your skin clean, clear, and fresh.
Regardless of the season, maintaining a healthy skin routine is vital to glowing, youthful skin. In summer, all the more so, especially with the heat and humidity of Austin. Exposing your skin to dry AC and sunshine can lead to a perfect storm of acne-ridden, dry, and flaky skin.
Think of Austin like a sauna. The humidity and heat open your pores and makes them vulnerable to impurities in the air, sweat, oil, and UV rays. On the positive, Austin’s humidity does help to keep your skin plump and elastic, but the temperature and sun exposure can be a hassle. Your skin is incredibly sensitive to heat, a 1° change in temperature has been proven to increase sebum (a light yellow, oily substance produced by skin glands) production by 10%. But, never fear, with these five ways to revamp skincare routine, you can enjoy all the pleasures of summer without worrying about breaking out, eczema, wrinkles or oily skin.
- Not everyone may think of drinking water as a part of your daily skincare routine, but staying hydrated is our number one recommendation for healthy skin. Hydration rejuvenates and allows your body to maintain a healthy baseline and balance of water and oils. In the hot summer, as you sweat all day, you lose a great deal of water, which is needed for your skin to function. The outer layer of your skin can also become weak without water and unable to protect you from harsh UV rays. Staying in cool and dryer areas also helps to prevent loss of water, so stay cool as much as possible! Without regularly drinking a recommended eight 8 oz glasses of water a day, your skin may become dry and irritated. Consider a glass or aluminum water bottle as an eco-friendly way to stay hydrated all day long!
Mix-Up Your Morning Routine
- Summer’s unique set of skin hazards may mean that it’s time to switch up the products you have been using so far this year. Exposure to heat and sunshine increase production of grease and sebum, often leading to a shiny and oil slick appearance by the end of the day. A great way to combat this is to switch out your cleanser for a gentle, natural charcoal-based product, especially if you have an oily skin type. These cleansers do a great job of breaking down grease and purifying your pores and as they are all-natural can be used on sensitive skin.
- After using a gentle cleanser, apply a toner infused with botanicals to help hydrate and soothe your skin, fighting flakiness all day long. All you need to do is dab a bit on a cotton ball or pad and pat on your skin.
- Next, you want to be sure you have a lightweight moisturizer to lock in all the hydration you can. SkinCeuticals works like a dream and offers a wide selection of moisturizing creams and serums.
- Finally, and most importantly, apply a high SPF sunscreen after your skin has absorbed its moisturizer. Exposure to UV rays is the number one cause of unwanted lines and wrinkles. Sunscreen not only defends your skin from the worst of this damage but also helps to avoid premature aging. We recommend Elta MD or ISDIN sunscreen, which offer lightweight, broad-spectrum, all-day protection. If you choose another brand, be sure it is not too sticky or oily, as this can be uncomfortable and lead to greasy skin.
- Tip for Oily Skin: Apply a layer of fine translucent finishing powder using a large powder brush after moisturizing. Afterward apply your foundation, make-up, or anything else you use. This is especially helpful in a humid climate to keep you looking dewy and fresh rather than greasy.
Repair and Replenish at Night
- Nighttime offers your skin the chance to heal, regenerate, and fight wrinkles. With a little extra love and care, it can also be the perfect time to replenish moisture and repair damage. Do an initial cleanse to remove makeup, sunscreen, oils, dust, and impurities picked up throughout the day. A gentle foaming soap is perfect.
- Follow up your cleanser with a botanical-infused toner and a night serum that will both restore and soothe your skin. ISDN offers an amazing Melatonik™ Serum. When looking for serums, EGF and EFGF are great ingredients to keep your skin looking plump and youthful. Extra points if you choose one with Guaiazulene, which works great to calm irritation and sun damage.
- Finally, apply a generous layer of moisturizing cream to offer deep hydration overnight.
Try A New Sheet Mask
- Sheet masks make a great summer cooling treat. Try one that controls sebum, calms inflammation, and cools skin temperature (look for erythritol).
- For oily skin types, we recommend a charcoal or bamboo sheet mask, which is comfortable, offer good adherence, and lasting moisturization.
Come in for a Consultation with Dr. Amato
- While your skincare routine can do a great deal to combat premature aging and wrinkles, Dr. Amato’s wide range of procedures and treatments can bolster anti-aging effects and offer a quick and easy way to assure younger-looking, healthy skin. A board-certified cosmetic surgeon specializing in oculoplastic facial procedures, Dr. Amato would be happy to talk to you about the many options available to all skin types and ages. Contact our Austin office for your consultation or call 512-501-1010 to ask any question. When it comes to cosmetic treatments and plastic surgery, we’ve heard them all!
Bonus Tip: Try eating fruits like Kiwi, Plums, and Watermelon; which are all high in Vitamin C and can help to improve skin rejuvenation and a healthy glow!