Aesthetic Facial Procedures with Dr. Amato
With today’s advanced technology and for the busy executive or mom, Dr. Amato can offer minimally invasive office-based or outpatient surgical procedures for aesthetic facial enhancement with immediate results and little downtime. She recognizes that aging changes causes not the only laxity of the skin but also volume loss and gravitational changes, which need to be addressed for an optimal aesthetic result. Dr. Amato is experienced in minimally invasive, endoscopic and laser cutting edge techniques that lessen surgery time, recovery and scarring. She is also skilled at corrective surgery after complications from previous facial surgery.
Cosmetic Procedures offered by Dr. Amato
Preparing for Surgery
Patients will come in for an initial consultation with Dr. Amato to decide the best treatment plan to meet your needs. A complete medical history and exam are performed, and it is recommended to stop blood thinners 2 weeks before surgery. The procedures can be performed under local anesthesia with or without IV sedation and typically takes 30 minutes to an hour for each procedure. The operation is painless, but usually, most healing occurs in the first 2-3 weeks. Bruising and swelling are expected, but the pain is minimal. Final healing of the scar and swelling can take up to 6 months.
Meet Malena Amato MD FACS
Learn more about the Georgetown & Stanford alumna and why you should visit Dr. Amato for your next procedure.
Cosmetic Procedures offered by Dr. Amato
Blepharoplasty is one of the most common cosmetic facial procedures primarily due to its significant impact on revitalizing the face combined with little down time and few complications. Dr. Amato has performed thousands of blepharoplasties in her career. When performed by a skilled eyelid specialist, it is safe, quick, and provides tremendous results, leaving the patient looking refreshed and revitalized.
- Upper blepharoplasty can sometimes be covered by insurance or Medicare if it causes visual obstruction and other symptoms and will be determined at your consultation. A small elliptical incision is made along the natural eyelid skin and the redundant skin and sometimes fat is removed. The skin edges are closed usually with dissolving stitches.
- In a lower blepharoplasty, a small amount of skin or fat or both can be removed. For skin wrinkles or laxity, skin can be tightened or smoothed by a CO2 fractionated laser resurfacing or TCA peel can be performed at the same time. The incision can be hidden inside the eyelid or may be just underneath the lash line and heals nicely.
- Patients will come in for an initial consultation with your surgeon to decide the best treatment plan to meet your needs. The procedure can be performed under local anesthesia with or without IV sedation and typically takes about an hour. The surgery is painless, but typically most healing occurs in the first 2-3 weeks. Bruising and swelling is expected but pain is minimal. Final healing of the scar and swelling can take up to 6 months.
A brow lift is an advanced minimally invasive endoscopic technique to raise the brows and smooth the forehead with minimal scarring. With the aid of a tiny video camera, a sagging forehead can be lifted back into place with a fraction of the penetration of other brow lift methods. This technology requires only a few incisions behind the hairline to achieve the desired results. This means less surgery and recovery time for the patient, and no visible scars. Surgery is performed at an outpatient procedure under local or IV sedation and takes about an hour. Most of the healing occurs in the first 2 weeks and final healing and results can take 6 months.
With the aging process, patients often experience sagging of the cheeks or volume loss, resulting in a tired or sunken appearance. There are various techniques for mid-face lifting depending on the patients needs. This can include fillers such as Voluma, Sculptra, to minimally invasive midface or short scar face-lifting, fat transfer, or cheek implants. Treatments may be performed in an office setting or under light sedation in an outpatient surgery setting. Dr. Amato offers same day treatment as your consultation for facial fillers. She uses particular dermal fillers that restore cheek volume and minimize the folds around the mouth resulting from a heavy cheek (nasolabial folds). Results are instant. Bruising and swelling can occur for the first few days after the procedure.
- What does surgery entail for mid-face lifting?After a consultation, patients will undergo a review of their health history, exam and blood pressure. Patients are often instructed to stop blood thinners 2 weeks before surgery and obtain medical clearance if necessary.Dr. Amato performs same day minimally invasive surgery techniques with incisions hidden in the eyelid smile lines, or in the hairline endoscopically with small incisions. She may insert a cheek implant or lift the underlying tissue beneath the skin with sutures to resuspend the cheek. Sutures are often dissolvable and scarring is minimal. Surgery lasts 1-2 hours at an outpatient facility under IV or light general anesthesia.
- What is the healing process after mid-face or cheek lift? Pain is minimal after surgery, and most patients do not take pain medication the next day. Ice packs is essential to improve swelling and bruising after surgery for the first few days. Patients can have blurred vision with the use of ointment around the eyes and facial swelling. Majority of post-operative bruising and swelling lasts for the first few weeks and incisions will continue to fade and final results will b seen 6-12 months after surgery. Dr. Amato is experienced in all facets of midface lifting and will help you determine the optimal plan for you at your consultation.
A large part of facial aging is volume loss in addition to skin changes and laxity, and gravitational descent resulting in wrinkling and sagging. Adding volume often softens an aging face and restores a more youthful facial appearance. Dermal fillers offer volume augmentation, but facial fat transfer surgery can offer longer lasting results. In an outpatient procedure under IV and local anesthesia, fat is usually harvested from the abdomen or thighs and the “good fat” is spun down and injected in tiny amounts to the parts of the face. There are small incisions around the belly button or area of fat harvest. and at the facial injection sites. This procedure is performed as an outpatient under local or IV sedation. It can take one to two treatments for optimal results as there will be some fat loss, but the results can be long lasting. Dr. Amato performs this minimally invasive technique, which can occur in conjunction with eyelid or other facial surgery.
Dr. Amato performs Lumens Acupulse fractionated CO2 laser resurfacing which is a treatment to reduce fine and deeper facial lines and wrinkles, sun and age spots and improve tone and texture of the skin. Dr. Amato will perform an extensive evaluation and discussion with her patients to determine if you are a good candidate for this treatment. Laser treatment can also be used for removal of benign lesions or treatment of brown or age spots. Discussion of medical history, risks and expectations are important in the consultation. She may place you on a skin care regimen to prepare your skin for the laser treatment. Avoidance of sun is recommended at least 8 weeks prior to the procedure and for the months afterwards. Depth of treatment can vary and treatment can be performed around the eyes, face and neck. Treatment last typically 30 minutes to an hour under IV and local or topical sedation. Moisturizing ointment and ice packs with sun avoidance is recommended immediately after surgery. Typically the post-operative pain is minimal, but swelling and redness can be significant for 5-7 days post-operatively. After that, smooth, pink refreshed skin appears and the anti-aging effects of the laser begin to show. Final tightening and healing can take several months, though majority of the healing occurs in the first few days to weeks. The effects of the laser resurfacing procedure reverses the signs of facial aging and typically lasts about 5 years. Only or two treatments are typically all that is necessary for optimal results.
A debilitating facial scar after injury or procedure can be discouraging for a patient. Complications after surgery can also result in an unwanted appearance, keloids, or a functional problem especially with eyelid closure, tearing, dry eyes, and blurred vision. Dr. Amato often sees patients after previous cosmetic or eyelid surgery or after acute or long-term trauma to offer various treatment options including office procedures or injections, corrective surgery, a laser procedure or a combination treatment improve the problem.
Ready to book your procedure?
If you are ready to take the next steps, or simply want more information about a procedure, please contact our team! Dr. Amato looks forward to speaking soon.