About Dr. Malena Amato, Board-Certified Eyelid & Facial Plastic Surgeon
Dr. Malena Amato is driven by the belief that everyone deserves to look and feel their best. As a child, she was inspired by her grandfather’s tireless dedication to his patients during his lifetime spent practicing as a physician.
Education and Training in Oculoplastic Facial Surgery
Knowing that she wanted to carry on her grandfather’s legacy while finding her unique niche, Dr. Amato pursued her undergraduate and medical education at Boston College, Stanford and Georgetown Universities. After earning her medical degree, she decided to pursue General Surgery at Stanford University in Palo Alto, where she discovered her passion for facial surgery. This led her to return to Georgetown for Ophthalmology Residency, where she obtained board certification. Intent on further honing her skills, she completed a two-year accredited ASOPRS fellowship in Oculoplastic and Facial Surgery, in Austin, TX and at MD Anderson.
After becoming a successful surgeon, Dr. Amato began giving back to the medical community; she served as adjunct faculty at Georgetown in Washington, DC, before teaching as adjunct faculty at Stanford University during her time at Kaiser Permanente in the Bay Area. While working with these prestigious institutions, Dr. Amato contributed to numerous research projects, authored several book chapters and peer-reviewed papers. In 2013, she moved to Austin to practice and raise their two boys. She served as the president of the Austin Ophthalmology Society. Today, she balances running Eyelid & Facial Plastic Surgery Associates in Austin with her role as Adjunct Clinical Professor at Dell Medical School.
- Boston College
- Oxford University
- Georgetown University School of Medicine: Doctor of Medicine
- Stanford Health Sciences Center: Surgery Internship
- Georgetown University Center for Sight: Ophthalmology Residency
- Texas Ocuplastic Consultants: Oculofacial Plastic Surgery ASOPRS Fellowship
- University of Texas, San Antonio Health Sciences Center: Oculofacial Plastic Surgery ASOPRS Fellowship
- Assistant Clinical Faculty, Dell Medical School
- American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Academy of Ophthalmology
- Women in Ophthalmology
- SEE International
- International Medical Relief Foundation
- Journal of Ophthalmology-Reviewer
- EyeNet Magazine-Editorial board
- ASOPRS Education Committee
- Expert Review of Medical Devices
- Super Doctors, Texas Monthly 2015-2019
- Best Doctors, Austin Monthly 2014-2019
- Distinguished Woman Physicians, Texas-2017
- ASOPRS Research Award 2008
- Metropolitan Who’s Who Among Executives and Professionals
- Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Awards-2006, 2014
- MRSA Community Benefit Grant-2010
- Pathology Award-2006
- Magnum Cum Laude
- Alpha Epsilon Delta Premedical Honors Society
- Order of the Cross and Crown Jesuit Honors Society
Committed to Excellence in Patient Care and Community
Outside her clinic, Dr. Amato works to pass down her philanthropic spirit to her two children, who accompany her on regular medical mission trips. Together with her husband, who is also a Plastic Surgeon, they have helped to provide medical care to underserved populations in Latin America, Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, and most recently, Guatemala and Belize. At home, they are dedicated to charities such as Austin Smiles, the Breast Cancer Resource Center, Austin Pets Alive, and the ASOPRS Foundation, Hospice by the Sea, and International Medical Relief Foundation.
Dr. Amato’s wealth of international experience has given her a broad perspective on both oculoplastic surgery and the role of compassionate care in building communities. Her Austin clinic is founded on the knowledge that a supportive, collaborative environment—for both patients and staff—is essential to the provision of outstanding care.
Personalized Surgical Treatment for Every Patient
Dr. Amato takes the time to listen to each of her patients, getting to know their cosmetic, medical, and personal goals. She understands the demands placed on parents and professionals and does her best to ensure that every procedure she performs is as gentle and noninvasive as possible. She also prides herself on making time for her patients, personally calling her patients after surgery, and going so far as to provide them with her phone number. Her two decades of medical experience and her commitment to warm, attentive care have earned her the honor of being selected as a Top Doctor and Super Doctor for four consecutive years.
If you’re looking for peerless oculoplastic expertise with a personal touch, Dr. Amato will be happy to welcome you to her family of patients. Contact her today to learn more about the procedures she offers.
Ready to book your procedure?
If you are ready to take the next steps, or simply want more information about a procedure, please contact our team! Dr. Amato looks forward to speaking soon.